Like my Facebook page!

Ravelry Rocks!

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Mother Of Dragons: The Making Of A Dragon



I have long wanted to make a really long paper mache project.  I have been silently obsession over making a dragon since last Halloween, when I saw a huge robotic dragon at Home Depot for like $500.  Of course I couldn't justify that purchase so ever since then I KNEW I needed to make a dragon.  Only problem was that I had only made some juvenile pinatas in the past and I was nowhere near good enough to  make anything like my visions.  

Then, my favorite rooster, Jar Jar Beaks passed away, suddenly.  I was devastated.  He was such a sweet and snuggly guy, he was the model in many of my photo shoots with chicken hats.  I was pretty bummed, and my hubby and I were sitting on the couch as I sat in a stupor of sadness.  According to my husband, I stood up, with my eyes glazed over, and walked away.  He didn't see me for a few hours and he came looking.  He found me in the basement working on a giant dragon.  He was really annoyed because the mess was even greater than the dragon, and I had set it up smack dab in front of the washer/dryer.  He was also mad because this would mean we will now have a giant dragon in our house.  I tried to tell him that I wanted it for a shop mascot and that I needed to make this because I was obsessing over it!  He couldn't get over it......UNTIL....it started coming along, and he realized it was actually going to be quite magnificent.  

I have finished enough of it to be obvious that it is going to be pretty spectacular, although I still have a lot more work to go.  In the end, I'd like to paint it blues and purples but I am a long way from the painting process.  She has helped pick me up from my sadness and has shown me to have faith that I can figure things out.  I really had no idea what I was doing when I started.  I did lots of research and experimentation and darnit, it has paid off!

My dragon's name is Kermesia.  She is the dragon who has inspired two knitting patterns-
Dragon to Butterfly: Kermesia's Story Shawl
Eye Of The Dragon:  Kermesia's Entrelac Shawl

Her story appears in the Story shawl pattern, it is just a short story, but it talks about Kermesia. :) 

I needed to make Kermesia.  I've had a lot of things on my mind, not just Jar Jar Beaks, but my dad's health and other things that are just black sad walls.  Creativity is my outlet, and something new is always what I need to really cure myself of the major demons. I'll post more images when she is finished, but for now, meet Kermesia: the Dragon of my Dragonbird. 

1 comment: