Ravelry Rocks!

Friday, December 23, 2016

Draining The Swamp: One Stitch At A Time






So, I made this afghan with the sole purpose of sending it to our President Elect  Trump.  I have no idea where to send it to ensure that he will, indeed, receive it.  So, for now, I will hold on to it and hope that some day I can send this to him, with the accompanying letter.  Maybe, once he is in the White House, I will just mail it there and hope and pray someone gives it to him.

I am even more proud that I worked on this as many in the crochet/knitting community were making those pink hats with ears.  Regardless of where we stand politically, being divisive is never an answer.  I chose to support and cheer rather than divide and whine.



President Trump,

I wanted to make you a gift, just to say thank you for standing up for the silent Americans that have gone so long without having their voices heard.  I thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for jumping into the fray and fighting for us. 

I am sure this is not the best blanket you have ever seen or owned, but it is one with great meaning for me.  My son, who is currently in boot camp, wrote this before he left back in October (this was his first time voting in a presidential election): 

“Tomorrow's my last full day in Illinois for three months. I won't miss winter here AT ALL. So I guess I’ll see everyone in three months and hopefully I'll be a marine when I get back. Peace out y’all.  Oh and hopefully Trump will be the president when I get out. Fingers crossed haha!”

You see, my husband had served two tours in Iraq, one under President Bush and one under President Obama, and my son remembers the troubles we had under the latter, which resulting in my having to file a congressional due to the fact that they were very shady in the issuing of orders that meant we received less pay and no insurance for no less than three months and my husband not reenlisting, which had been his plan.

My working on this afghan has helped get me through this time when I have been missing my son.  I enjoyed working on this afghan as I watched the election coverage and have enjoyed working on it as I celebrated your groundbreaking win.   Much like your race, this afghan has been exasperating, sometimes I thought I would never finish, and I felt like a lot of this work would be for nothing, but I kept on working at it.  You did not give up on us, even when the outcome looked bleak.  I am entitling this afghan, “Drain The Swamp.”  I hope that you can stash it somewhere that will remind you of your great promise to the American People, and I have faith that you will not let us down.  I would love for this afghan to be your silent cheerleader, reminding you that the American People have shown they have faith in you because you will do great things for this country regardless of what either party says.  When you look at this afghan, I would love for you to feel pride in yourself and in our country, because through you, America again will be great, and will again become united and prideful.  Continue to be a role model for future politicians, show them that by standing for the people the people will, in return, stand for them.  

This afghan is completely machine washable (gentle, cool) and tumble dry low….unfortunately Washington DC is not, and thus, the swamp must be drained.


All of my love and respect,

Shawn



Here I am with my son's shirt, my chicken (named Trump) and the afghan. :) 

6 comments:

  1. You GO GIRL! I believe if you send it to Trump Tower in New York City, someone will make sure he gets it. I loved your letter (and that quote from your son.)
    Congratulations to your son - and he, and all of our young Marines (including my own young Niece!) are in my prayers daily.
    I believe that Trump will treasure your Drain the Swamp quilt. Please do send it.
    Maybe if you send it c/o Kelly Anne Conway, she will make sure he gets it.
    I love the Trump team...and the cabinet already chosen promises a STRONG administration - something this country has been lacking for 8 long years.
    God bless you and your family. Thank your husband for her service for me, would you, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards going that route too, thanks! I'm just scared someone will just toss it out. I've had a few people to try doing it that way, so perhaps I shall! :) You thank your niece for her service as well! Have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!!

      Delete
  2. I found this through the Red Heart group on Rav. I love the blanket, the sentiment, and the letter! I hope you've found a place to send it. Thank your husband and son for their service and thank you for keeping the home fires burning.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! :) I'm still trying to find a way to get it to him to ensure he gets it. Not going well, but it is sort of fun trying haha!

      Delete
  3. LOVE this! I hope you have found a way to get it to him. Thank your family for service and sacrifice. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thanks! :) Sadly, I still have not found a way to get it to him..I've fired off a few emails and messages to different people and haven't heard a thing...I'll keep on trying. Worst case scenario, if I still have it in a few months I'll just mail it to the generic address and hope it gets to him. :)

    ReplyDelete